At CHI Mercy Health, your care doesn’t end after your procedure. Patients who have had either heart surgery or a heart attack can participate in our cardiac rehabilitation program. Our goal is to help restore your heart strength so you can live a healthy, active life.
What is Cardiac Rehab?
Cardiac rehabilitation is a structured program of medically supervised exercise, education and support designed to make your heart healthier. Participating in cardiac rehab can lower your risk of future cardiac events, such as a heart attack. People who participate improve their lifestyle which can increase wellbeing and longevity.
We recommend cardiac rehab for people:
- Who are recovering from heart surgery or a heart attack
- Who have heart failure
- Who have stable angina
- Who have had stents placed
- Who have been recommended to attend by their doctor
Benefits of Cardiac Rehab
What will you gain from participating in cardiac rehab?:
- Understand your specific condition and how to best manage it
- Gain more energy, strength and stamina
- Reduce your risk factors for heart attack and heart disease
- An opportunity to meet with a registered dietician
- Monthly classes taught by cardiologist, Dr. Virgilio
What To Expect
During your cardiac rehab, we carefully evaluate and monitor your heart function. As your heart grows stronger, we may make modifications to your treatment plan. Your program will include:
- Nutrition classes to learn how to eat a healthy diet
- Exercise program prescribed and supervised by an R.N.
- Resources to help reduce stress and relieve depression (a common side effect after having a cardiac event like a heart attack)
- Guidance to create a healthy lifestyle plan, including incorporating regular exercise into your routine
To learn more about Mercy’s Shaw Heart cardiac rehabilitation program, call: 541-677-4826